Yearly Meeting is a time for learning, inspiration and strength for our collective witness. As far back as 1668, Quakers meeting in London wrote, “We did conclude among ourselves to settle a meeting, to see one another's faces, and open our hearts to one another in the Truth of God once a year."
Yearly Meeting can often refresh our spiritual lives and help in our seeking. Each year, a set of documents are prepared and published before Yearly Meeting gathers in session. These documents help us meet with hearts and minds prepared.
Documents in Advance
Often referred to as the Documents in Advance, the documents here introduce the theme of the Yearly Meeting, and contain reports from across Britain Yearly Meeting (including BYM Trustees and Meeting for Sufferings). Preparation documents are available in two parts, bundle two will be published in early May.
- Read and download Preparing for Yearly Meeting 2022 (PDF)
- Read the Yearly Meeting Calling Letter (PDF)
- Agenda and Notes contains introductory material for Yearly Meeting, and the annual reports of Meeting for Sufferings, central committees, and other related bodies. It is an instructive, guiding document for the Yearly Meeting and may help with preparations both practical and spiritual. The content of Agenda and Notes is referred to throughout Yearly Meeting sessions and Friends should read through the document in advance of Yearly Meeting.
- Download Agenda & Notes for Yearly Meeting 2022 (PDF)
- Download Timetable for Yearly Meeting 2022 (PDF)
- Agenda and Notes is also available in large print.
- Download Agenda & Notes Large Print (PDF)
- Download Agenda & Notes Large Print (Word document)
- Letters of Greeting are received from other Yearly Meetings
- Letter of Greeting from Ireland Yearly Meeting (PDF)
- Letter of Greeting from Friends World Committee for Consultation (FWCC) (Word)
- Letter of Greeting from FWCC Europe & Middle East Section (PDF)
- Letter of Greeting from Australia Yearly Meeting (PDF)
- The Testimonies, or 'Testimonies to the Grace of God in lives' records the testimonies sent to Yearly Meeting by Area Meetings across the country of those Friends who have passed away in recent years. Testimonies radiate the Grace of God as shown in the lives of the Friends who have died. They differ from an obituary account of achievements, a few milestones in the life of the deceased serves to illuminate the spiritual gifts bestowed. Testimonies for Yearly Meeting 2022 (PDF)
- Annual Report and Annual Review
- The Annual Report from Trustees covers the work undertaken by Quakers in Britain, the charitable organisation, and includes financial statements for the year ended December 2021. Annual report and financial statement 2021 (PDF)
- The Annual Review from the Recording Clerk is a review of the work undertaken by the charity throughout the past year. Also available as a PDF.
- Patterns of membership
- The Patterns of Membership and Tabular Statement is the recorded count of Quakers in Britain as correct at 31 December 2021. The Tabular Statement records members and attenders of all ages.
- Download the Patterns of Membership and Tabular Statement for Yearly Meeting 2022 (PDF)
- Schedule of Nominations
- The Schedule of Nominations records all of the proposed nominations that are due to be made at Yearly Meeting. Please refer to the Agenda and Notes to see when specific nominations will be taken in Yearly Meeting Sessions.
- Download the Schedule of Nominations 2022 (PDF)
- Documents will be available to access online ahead of Yearly Meeting, published in two batches. Friends will read the documents online, though if you need printed documents, they are printer-friendly and in PDF format. We request that individuals print copies or ask if anyone in your meeting can assist you. This will help us to save costs, especially while we are unable to print and send copies from Friends House.
- Those with access requirements for printed materials can request them when booking for Yearly Meeting. If this does not meet your accessibility needs, or the needs of someone you know, please email email@example.com.
Policies and guidance
- Please find our policies published below. To receive more information about our policies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- - Booking Terms & Conditions (PDF)
- - Guidance for event facilitators: accessibility (PDF)
- - Guidance: live auto transcription in Zoom (PDF)
- - Community Agreement (PDF)
The Minutes of Yearly Meeting are distributed after the conclusion of Yearly Meeting. Minutes are a record of business meeting written by the clerk. The clerks role is to try and discern the outcome of each item (often called 'the sense of the meeting') and to prepare a draft minute to lay before the meeting. These minutes are agreed as the meeting progress'.
The Epistle of Yearly Meeting is written during the Yearly Meeting and circulated with the minutes. The Epistle is written by the Epistle Drafting Group throughout Yearly Meeting and reflects and recalls the spiritual dimensions, depths and highlights of the Yearly Meeting. When complete, the epistle is sent out to all meetings in Britain and to other Yearly Meetings in loving greetings.