BYM Sustainability Gathering: Bridging the gap
19 - 21 October 2018, Alfreton
In 2011, Britain Yearly Meeting committed to becoming a low-carbon, sustainable community. This is our third national face-to-face gathering to support Friends and meetings in deepening and broadening our commitment. The gathering will address some of the gaps we encounter and the links we seek to make as we give life to our commitment – for instance, between:
- sustainability and the other values we try to live, including areas of Quaker testimony
- different groupings within our meetings, and in wider society
- humans and the rest of the natural world.
There will be short talks, worship, workshops, fun and relaxation. The gathering will be participatory, focusing on participants' experiences of what is needed in our lives, our local meetings and our wider communities. We'll have opportunities to hear about the experiences of other meetings, celebrate and learn from successes, explore the challenges and ask how we can best support each other. There will be resources and ideas for action. And there will be time to ask where we are led now in our commitment.
Each area meeting is asked to send at least one Friend to the gathering; individuals are also welcome subject to space. We are hoping for a good mix including:
- seasoned Friends experienced in eldership and oversight
- young adult friends exploring how to shape their lives, and how they can help shape the movement for a sustainable society
- Friends with experience of activism or work under concern in this or other areas
- Friends who would like to begin to explore what the concern might mean to them.
Arrivals: 16:00 - 18:00 Friday 19 October.
Departures from 14:00 Sunday 21 October.
There will be a bus from Derby station on Friday, returning Sunday.
For more information contact: