‘The action we are ready to take at this time is to make a strong corporate commitment to become a low-carbon, sustainable community.’
Yearly Meeting Gathering 2011, Minute 36
At Yearly Meeting Gathering 2011 Quakers in Britain made a corporate commitment to become a low-carbon, sustainable community.
The Sustainability and Peace programme drives, facilitates and supports action to live out this commitment. It helps Quakers and others to live more sustainable lives and to explore the connections between sustainability, economics and peace.
We also seek to influence governments and others in order to help transform Britain into a more sustainable society. We have opportunities for and your meeting to call for political change for sustainability.
The Sustainability and Peace programme works closely with the Economic Issues programme which promotes a more equitable and environmentally responsible economy.
Living Witness and QPSW have drawn on their collective experience and expertise to produce the Sustainability Toolkit, to inspire and support meetings to respond to the Yearly Meeting call to action.
Read more, access the resources and download an electronic version of the Sustainability Toolkit.
Are you concerned about the impact your life and that of your meeting is having on the climate? Living Witness and QPSW have produced two new interactive online calculators so you can work out your carbon footprint. One will work out the footprint of your meeting, the other your personal footprint. Both are also available in paper format.
Meeting for Sufferings has asked all local meetings to fill in a check-up of their sustainability activities, extracted from the Sustainability Toolkit.
Your check-up is available here [Word: 311kb - new window]. You can complete it in two ways:
- Electronically (preferable): save it to your computer, type in your information and then attach it to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The ‘Notes’ boxes should expand as you type into the form. Please put ‘Sustainability information’ in the subject line of your email.
- Paper: Print out the check-up and write in your answers. Please use additional pieces of paper if necessary. Completed paper copies should be sent to the Recording Clerks Office, Friends House, 173 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BJ. Please mark your envelope ‘Sustainability information’.
Our Speaking Out work mobilises and assists Friends in calling for political change for sustainability.
Find out more about opportunities for action, and how QPSW can help you and your meeting speak out on sustainability.
Share your sustainability stories
What action are you and others already taking on sustainability? What successes have you had and what challenges are you facing?
- Join the discussion on Facebook [new window]
- Share your experience on the Quakernomics blog [new window]
- Read Sustainability Stories
Photograph: Mike Pinches 2011