A key part of EAPPI’s work is advocating for an end to the occupation and for a just peace. There are many actions everyone can take and many ways to be involved with EAPPI and the issues.
Find out who your elected representatives are and contact them!
Raise an issue, for example, ask them to write to the minister about why Israeli settlements continue to be built illegally in occupied Palestine, while some Palestinians are still having their homes demolished. Keep your email short, make a small number of specific points and always ask for a response. You can use the recommendations in Trading Away Peace: How Europe helps sustain illegal Israeli settlements [PDF - new window]
For MPs, MSPs, Welsh and Northern Irish AMs use www.writetothem.com
For TDs use www.whoismytd.com
For MEPs use www.europarl.ie/en/your_meps.html
Monitor and use the media
Write about your concerns for the situation in Israel and occupied Palestine to a newspaper or magazine editor, using what you’ve learned from the EAPPI as a resource. Write also to comment on an article/current news item via the letters page or website. Look out for unfair reporting or incorrect use of terminology, for example 'disputed territories' that are more accurately described as 'occupied territories'. Contact local, national or other media to point it out. If you’re part of a faith group, a trade union or other body, why not write an article for their newsletter.
Support Israeli peace groups
Discover ways you can support Israeli peace activists and groups by visiting their websites. For example:
Rabbis for Human Rights rhr.org.il/eng/
New Profile www.newprofile.org/english/
Coalition of Women for Peace www.coalitionofwomen.org/?lang=en
Yesh Gvul www.yeshgvul.org.il/en/about-2/
Yesh Din www.yesh-din.org/geninfo.asp?gencatid=1
Visit Israel and occupied Palestine
Explore the situation first-hand by meeting people affected by the conflict and looking at aspects of life in Israel and occupied Palestine. Tours are run by a number of different groups including:
Israeli Committee against House Hemolitions (ICAHD) www.icahd.org
Olive Co-operative www.olivecoop.com
The Forum for Discussion of Israel and Palestine (FODIP) www.fodip.org
Quaker Voluntary Action (QVA) www.qva.org.uk
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org for tours from Ireland
Follow the Code of Conduct for Tourism in the Holy Land via the Alternative Tourism Group, based in the West Bank.
Twinning and friendship links
Establish a twinning or friendship link between your town, school, college, union or religious community and one in occupied Palestine. This is an effective way of drawing the human rights situation there to the attention of people in your locality. Contact EAPPI for advice or visit www.twinningwithPalestine.net for practical information about setting up a friendship link or twinning association.
Get involved with EAPPI and church partners' annual focus on peace and justice
World Week for Peace in Palestine and Israel: 20-26 September 2015
Bridges not Walls: "God has broken down the dividing wall" Ephesians 2:14
More information about the week can be found on the World Council of Churches website.
For detailed information about UK activities and resources please visit the Pax Christi website.
Become an EA
Share the stories
- Share EAPPI resources
- Hear a returned EA speak or invite an EA to speak
- Organise a public meeting with a returned EA as the speaker in your area/meeting/church
- Publish EAs' reports and/or an article about the EAPPI in your church/meeting/community newsletter
- Ask us for leaflets about EAPPI to distribute in your church/meeting/community
- Support EAPPI by sending a donation (make cheques payable to BRITAIN YEARLY MEETING, with EAPPI on the back) to Friends House, 173 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BJ. Or you can make a one-off donation or set up a direct debit to support EAPPI.
- Make a one-off donation and make a real difference today, using the button below.
Make a regular donation and contribute to making a long-term impact through EAPPI. Click on the button below to set up a direct debit quickly and securely.
Either button will take you to our secure payment pages, which are managed by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) on our behalf. A padlock icon should appear in the corner of your browser to confirm that you are in the secure payment area.
Take part in annual churches' focus for peace
World Week for Peace in Palestine-Israel takes place every year. See Pax Christi for more information.
Take action for peace in Israel/Palestine
The EAPPI in Britain and Ireland is calling for:
- The conclusion of an inclusive peace process, which will reach a negotiated settlement of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the basis of relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions.
- Compliance with international humanitarian law and human rights law by all parties.
- An immediate end to all construction activity by Israel in the Israeli settlements in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
- The lifting of restrictions of movement on Palestinians within the West Bank and between the West Bank and Gaza Strip and an end to the blockade of the Gaza Strip, and restoration of the presumption of the freedom of movement.
For more information about any of the above, please contact us:
Quaker Peace & Social Witness
173 -177 Euston Road
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7663 1144